Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Chelsea VanOrden- Richmond: Before, During, and After

When we left for Richmond I was excited. It was a city I had never been to and I looked forward to getting to learn more about the civil war.  I previously had explored it through AP courses in high school as well as a course about the conflicts leading up to the war this past fall semester. Having that background what intrigued me the most about Richmond was the perspective they were going to take on the North-South issue and how they were going the explain the causes. Coming from a Northern background, I was taught about the war from a young age differently than some students are in the south. I looked forward to hearing opinions of the locals as well as seeing how the museums would portray the war.
Once we arrived to our first day of service at the William Byrd community house I was thrilled to hear that we were going to be working in the community garden area. I had expected it to be a larger farm like Fernbrook and have a building with many divisions in it after hearing about all of their initiatives. Instead it was a small community garden. For the actual service we worked in the fields harvesting vegetables and then I later helped to move mulch onto the playground area for the kids. While I was working I started reflecting on the history that farming holds for people. When we are working in the fields we are a part of something that has been occurring for millenniums. Humans investing in agriculture is what started society. It is so much larger than just us. It felt amazing to be a part of something larger than myself not only in the physicality of doing community service, but also across the landscape of history.
After we worked in the garden we headed over to Hollywood cemetery where many Confederate dead are buried along with Jefferson Davis, James Monroe and John Tyler. I was surprised by the negative reactions the group overall held toward the Confederate flags in front of the graves of the dead. I had forgotten that others may not have sat through the courses I had and been forced to consider all viewpoints for the war both then and now including states rights and independence as well as the causes for soldiers joining which were not just limited to their belief in the system of slavery, but rather as a fight for their freedom, families and friends. The flag that to us would hold a negative connotation does not necessarily for everyone who sees it. Even today it can stand as a sign of asserting independence and not the wish to enslave people. As we walked I was impressed by the passion that our hosts had for their city. They knew so much about how it developed and their families had a history there as well. This enabled them to see the transformation of the city since it was first established and permitted them an expert knowledge in the changes of it. I really enjoyed seeing the graves of James Monroe and John Tyler as I had no idea they were buried in Richmond. I wish we had gone to see Jeff Davis', but it was so hot that I do understand why people were ready to stop the climb up and down the hills. 
This day made me think about how I would like to see Bonner grow. I loved that they created a community garden and I wondered how we could use our connection with Fernbrook and the gardens they build at schools to create community gardens for the city. That way we can be a part of making healthier options more accessible to the students and their families. I also enjoyed how they are involved in so many social justice issues, but they keep it contained enough that they can make the maximum impacts on those who they serve. Rather than choosing one issue and helping people in that one way they chose less people and help them in as many ways as they can. I really appreciated that because I feel when we spread ourselves out so far across so many areas it makes it difficult to remember the individuals we are serving and allowing them to get lost in our quest to serve the greater good.
The second day of service we went to Boaz and Ruth which is a a reentry program for men and women who were in prison. I did not expect it to be as inclusive as it was. I imagined one large building not the block or "campus" of homes that they owned for those in their program to participate in. It was interesting to me having just returned from my brother's rehab in Florida which was set up in the same format. That was very unexpected for me to find so many similarities across both of the issue areas and their methods of classes combined with job opportunities as well as living with others in the program. We also worked in the garden and it was great to get to speak with the two men who were assigned to us that day. They were so knowledgeable about history and political issues that it was interesting to hear their perspectives on life. It made me wonder what it would be like to be away from society for so long and to enter into what likely seems and is a completely different world. 
After we went the the Tredager Museum on the James River. It was set up to teach about the four years of Civil War and divided it up into the Northern, Southern, and Slave perspectives. They called it, Union, Home, Freedom. I found it interesting to see it set up in such a way. As if Union was not related to home. I bothered me to see that they ignored that there were southerners who supported the Union and there are books on it, ones I have read for class. They created a division today in their portrayal of the war. Plenty of people wanted to see the nation stay together, but once their brothers began the battles, there was no way to go back. It was also interesting to see their videos about the war. I, along with others in the group could not help but analyze the gender and racial roles that were played such as the white man standing tall in the middle and the black man always speaking when something was being said about slavery. Overall it was a nice museum. However, the end shocked me. The wall of post it notes asking what the country would be liked if the North had not won and several notes said "better." I was not shocked that people felt that way, but I was shocked about the forum they chose to express their opinions on the matter.
Once I arrived home I sat back and I started to think about how I had spent the past several days. I was once again interested in American history even though I have spent most of my college time in my major pursuing Russian history. I remember why I loved the starting of this nation and all the challenges we faced that were similar across the global landscape. It was a great trip overall and it was nice to get to see friends and to work side by side with Bonners that I do not always have the opportunity to work with. It was a trip well worth it and I would suggest it to all of those who are able to go in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment